Our course notes are based on original guidelines recommended by The Permaculture Teaching Community, and were approved by the Bill Mollison’s Permaculture Institute in the 1990s. They are a well-tested plain english set of course notes and can be used alone or as accompaniment to the Permaculture Design Handbook by Bill Mollison. There are valuable contributions from successful students and graduates. The course notes are regularly updated in our response to student feedback. We aim for a continual quality loop involving our relationship with our students and now have students and graduates worldwide with some Translations in Spanish, Russian and French. Since 1993, this course has been in a constant process of dynamic evolution: working hard to meet growing student needs.
The Designer’s course is a 72 hour intensive program of tutorials supported by practical exercises, photos, field work and videos. It should be all you need to know in order to:
- Plan and implement a permaculture system for yourself.
- Assist in designing systems for others.
- Incorporate relevant permaculture ideals and methods into existing systems (home, office, industry, reforestation sites).
- Assess systems for sustainability.
- Start your research in particular food-stuffs/technology/strategies.
- Develop personal interests in permaculture ‘products/outcomes’.
- Increase community interest in activities that center on true (and not just economic) growth and development.
- On successful completion of the course, graduates are accredited by the Permaculture Institute and awarded a Certificate of Permaculture Design.
- After two years of applied work, graduates may apply for a Diploma of Applied Design. This can also be conferred through another permaculture institution.
- Diplomas have been awarded by peer review upon a presentation to other PDC graduates (as in APC10)
- Higher degrees in Permaculture studies may be pursued at various institutions both in Australia and overseas.
- Traditionally, it is not necessary to do any more than the design course in order to use the term PERMACULTURE in your activities/business. The design course should enable you to have a thorough understanding of Permaculture and be able to teach others.
See the Course Outlines in detail here: